This recipe of bread was born out of sheer necessity to use up English Cucumbers brought in bulk. I searched and searched but all I could find was sweet breads whereas I wanted a yeasty loaf. I experimented, hoped and prayed that it would turn out fine and it turned out to be immensely flavorful :) - two beautiful loaves with a lovely texture.
1/2 Cup Buttermilk @ room temp
3 Tbsp Water
1 Tbsp Oil
1 English Cucumber grated *approx 2 cups
2 Tbsp Grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
1 Tbsp Honey
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Lemon Pepper Seasoning
1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
Crushed Red Pepper * Optional
1 Jalapeno Pepper chopped very fine * Optional
1 to 1.5 Cups Oats
4 to 4.5 Cups All Purpose Flour * Note may need more or less depending on water content of cucumber
1 Pkt SAF Gourmet Instant Yeast * approx 7 gms
1. Dissolve 1 tsp sugar in warm water and add the yeast. Let the mixture stand until yeast foams vigorously approx 5-10 mins.
2. In a large mixing bowl add 4 cups flour and 1 cup oats. Mix in other dry ingredients - salt, seasonings and cheese and mix with a whisk.
3. In another small bowl mix in buttermilk, honey, oil, cucumber and jalapeno pepper. Whisk it to mix all ingredients and then add it to the dry ingredient bowl. Now add the yeast.
4. Knead the dough, if it feels very sticky slowly add more flour till it becomes stiff. Set it in a greased bowl, covered loosely with a cheesecloth.
5. It will double in size in about an hour. Caution use a large enough bowl, mine started running out of the bowl, it was hilarious. I don't have a pic of that but imagine walking into the kitchen to check on it and see it overflowing out of the bowl.
6. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface. Divide into half. Shape into loaves and place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pans sprinkled with oats. Sprinkle with oats on top of the loaves. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
7. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
8. Slice and enjoy with a helping of butter.
Isn't it beautiful textured !! My oh my I loved it.