I recently joined FoodBuzz a foodie community website. I came across Kath's site through FoodBuzz and a couple of her recipes caught my immediate fancy. Anyone who knows me knows I am big cheese fan and for that matter so is my hubby. We enjoy our cheese and we pick up quite a variety on our travels. So when I came across Kath's post titled "Melt-in-your-mouth Homemade Cheese Crackers!" I just had to make them. I made some very minor modifications and used a different cheese as I was out of Tillamook Cheddar. So here's the recipe as I made it but do visit her site to see the lovely step by step pics.
1½ Cups (6 oz) grated Cabot Buffalo Wing Extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened and cut into pieces
¾ Cup (90 g) flour, plus more for dusting
½ tsp salt * I omitted as cheese has enough salt
½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 Tbsp milk
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 Tbsp Sugar
1 to 2 tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350˚. Grease or line a half sheet pan with parchment paper.
2. In a medium sized mixing bowl, add flour and spices. Now cut in the butter till you have a bread-crumb like mixture. Add cheese and mix it with a spatula or by hand.
3. Add milk one Tbsp at a time and knead the dough with light hands till it comes together to form a ball.
4. Roll out on a floured board with a rolling pin.
5. Cut into desired shape with a knife, pizza cutter or cookie cutter shapes. Poke a small hole in the center of each cracker.
6. Place crackers atleast 1/4th inch apart and bake for 12-15 minutes.
WARNING: These are highly addictive :)