Thursday, July 7, 2011

Gluten Free Focaccia / Sorghum / Jowar Focaccia

Yet another invention for a Gluten Free Dairy Free detox. I had a sudden craving for Focaccia bread studded with olives and jalapeno peppers and red juicy tomatoes ... well that was ruled out due to All - Purpose flour. Not to be put down, I started my hunt on the Internet for gluten free focaccia recipes - yet another hurdle they all had some kind of egg replacers, or Xanthan gum and or almond meal or flax seed meal. I didn't have any of these so I just decided to do it my way. Believe me it turned out to be really yummy and hubby says it could become our all time recipe for Focaccia. Now that is the best compliment I could hope for. So read on to recreate the magic in your own kitchen's.

Jowar (Sorghum) Focaccia
(Oh heck!!! I just can't get this pic to appear horizontal. Will try tomorrow)
Ingredients
1.5 Cup Jowar / Sorghum Flour
0.5 Cup White Rice Flour
0.5 Cup Corn Starch
4 Cloves Garlic pounded
Quarter onion minced really fine / pounded along with garlic * Optional
Rosemary sprigs a few
Salt as per taste
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
4 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tsp Honey / Agave Nectar
2 Tbsp Lemon juice
1 Pkt Active Dry Yeast
1 & 1/4 Cup Warm Water
a Pinch of Raw Sugar

For the Topping
1 Tomato sliced
1 Jalapeno Pepper Sliced
2 Tbsp Chopped Olives
Rosemary
Sea Salt
Black Pepper

Implements / Utensils
2 Mixing Bowls
1 Baking Sheet

Method
1. In the small mixing bowl, add 1 and 1/4 Cup warm water, pinch of sugar and empty the yeast packet and leave to proof as per packet instructions. The proofed yeast mixture will start forming bubbles and rise up.
2. In another mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients, pounded garlic, onion.
3. Now add honey, olive oil, lemon juice and the proofed yeast mixture to the rest of the ingredients.
4. Dough should feel sticky more like a thick muffin batter or bhakri dough.
5. Lightly knead the dough. Using wet palms shape the dough and place it on a baking sheet dusted with dry jowar flour. I spread it entirely on my sheet pan.
6.  Top with sliced tomatoes, jalapeno pepper, olives sprinkle a bit of sea salt, crushed pepper and rosemary.
7. Place in warm draft free place and allow it to rise for 20 to 30 mins. I usually leave it in a warm oven.
8. Heat the oven to 375 F and once the oven reaches the temperature bake for 25 minutes until golden and firm.
9. Bring it out of the oven. Brush with a coat of olive oil if needed. ( I didn't do it to mine)
10. Enjoy warm with Raspberry Balsamic Vinegar or Olive Oil seasoned with some rosemary, garlic and black pepper  or eat it just like that ;)

1 comment:

  1. this bread does look like it has some wonderful flavor to it. Love the tomato jalapeno topping and the #10 tip..now I am craving this. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you