1 Cup Whole Wheat flour + additional for dusting
1 tsp salt * Optional
1 tsp roasted cumin and pepper powder * Optional
1 tsp ghee
0.5 Cup water to knead the dough (more or less depending on the wheat flour quality)
6 Tbsp Melted Ghee
Implements / Utensils
Tava / Griddle
Rolling Pin and plate
1. In a mixing bowl, add flour, salt, cumin and pepper powder and add little water. Mix to form bread crumb like texture of the dough, little by little add water and knead dough to a stiff consistency like chapati flour.
2. Apply ghee to the dough and set aside for ten minutes.
3. Tear apart a small piece of dough and flatten it, roll it in dry flour.
8. Now make a tear at one end of the coil and start rolling the coil sideways.
11. Serve hot with your favourite curry or simply enjoy with your favourite pickle
Alternatively, this can also be made by dividing the dough into very small marble sized pieces, rolling each piece to the size of a large cookie and layering 7 such into a thicker cookie by adding little ghee and flour on each layer before topping with another cookie sized chapati. Roll this seven layered cookie into a bigger chappati. This will give flakier layers. Since seven of these are traditionally used, it is called Sat-puro Phulko.